Trio Concept - Jerry Ong
PLEASE VISIT TRIO CONCEPT NEW HOME @ http://blog.jerryong.com


If you have the passion for it, go for it, so says Vincent Tan, founder of a Klang-based dance theatre group, to SABARIAH SALLEH.

You don’t have to be young and slim. Age or size shouldn’t stop anyone with the passion to pursue dancing.

Vincent Tan, the founder and artis
tic director of the Malaysia Batu Dance Theatre, says age is no barrier when it comes to dancing.

Tan, 46, who first took up dancing seriously when he was 20 and doing his first degree in Taiwan, says a late
beginner can blossom into a beautiful dancer. And he is the proof.

“There is a 38-year-old dancer in my troupe,” said Tan. “There are also those who started learning to dance at 24 or 25 but can perform well on stage.”

Tan’s passion for dancing still ran high when he came back to Malaysia with a degree in Business Administration in 1986.

“I tried to find a job but it was hard, and I just can’t work in a


9-to-5 job.



“I wanted to be free and dancing gives me the chance to express myself. So, I started going round to ballet schools to offer my services as a dancing teacher.”

In 1988, he founded the Batu Pahat Dance Troupe and began his career as a dancer, choreographer and teacher.


“I returned to Taiwan in 1994 to do a Masters in Fine Arts, majoring in choreography.

“Gaining the coveted qualification not only gives me a better reputation as a dancer, it also opened doors.

“I was invited to choreograph for the Asian New Generation Choreographers Festival, a unique and exciting project that brought together young choreographer from a variety of ethnic backgrounds.”


Tan also had a stint with the Taipei Ballet Theatre and Francis Tao Dance Troupe.

He returned to Malaysia in 1997 and formed the Tan Ho Dance Theatre where his works are based on local culture.

Some of the dances he has choreographed and performed are The Ancient Path, Night Journey, Two Women, Buddies, Boat Song, Lost Trilogy and Gone With The Wind.

Tan is constantly upgrading his knowledge on his chosen field. In 1999, he visited Bali, London and Paris to look into the dance industry and do research i
nto professional theatre practice.

“I was inspired by arts and culture and feel that others should have the chance to experience it.

“Hence, I established the Batu Dance Theatre and take my troupe to perform in the rural areas.

“I want those who are living in rural areas to be exposed to new things. I was able to tap raw talents.

“Who knows, one day I might just discover a talented dancer from a rural area.”

Tan’s latest showcase is City Ballet, a 90-minute modern dance piece. “Dancers are chosen from different backgrounds. Casting is important because I need people from all walks of life as they can convey the message in each dance in their own way.”

Hence, it was no surprise to see people with different careers, age and experience in dancing involved in the show. —




City Ballet encapsulates Tan’s experience in the city. It tells the story of how men and women survive in the metropolis. The performance has six dances. City Ballet is scheduled for Dec 16-18 at 8pm at Panggung DBKL. Tickets, priced at RM25 and RM55, also entitles you to watch a matinee show, Sunshine Dancers, for free. Call 017-8849670, 016-3585689 or 03-33247568.

Related Link : http://mytheatre.wordpress.com